Anyone who wants to learn more about blue-green algae can find a fact sheet at www.in.gov/idem/files/factsheet_bluegreen_algae.pdf.
People can also go to www.algae.in.gov to get the list of swimming areas that will be tested by the Indiana Department of Environmental Management. Beaches that will be tested are:
• Brookville Lake, Mounds State Recreation Area.
• Brookville Lake, Quakertown State Recreation Area.
• Cecil M. Harden Lake (Raccoon Lake), Raccoon State Recreation Area.
• Hardy Lake, Hardy Lake State Recreational Area.
• Mississinewa Lake, Miami State Recreation Area.
• Lake Monroe, Fairfax State Recreational Area.
• Lake Monroe, Paynetown State Recreational Area.
• Potato Creek State Park, Worster Lake.
• Salamonie Lake, Lost Bridge West State Recreation Area.
• Whitewater Lake, Whitewater Memorial State Park.
• Ferdinand State Forest Lake, beach at Ferdinand State Forest Lake.
• Starve Hollow State Recreation Area.
• Deam Lake State Recreation Area.
• Sand Lake, Chain O’Lakes State Park.
• Lincoln Lake at Lincoln State Park.
People can also look up a specific property on the Indiana Department of Natural Resources’ website, www.dnr.in.gov, to find out if there is an advisory.
The Indiana State Department of Health has a link on harmful algal blooms at https://secure.in.gov/isdh/25974.htm.