Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb on Wednesday said he would activate Stage 3 of his pandemic reopening plan on Friday—two days earlier than previously scheduled.

The change applies to the entire state, except for Marion, Lake and Cass counties, which will be allowed to start Stage 3 on June 1 if local authorities approve of that move.

Holcomb originally said Stage 3 would be activated on May 24.

Stage 3 of the governor’s reopening plan allows:

– Social gatherings of up to 100 people;

– Gyms, YMCAs and fitness facilities to open, with restrictions;

– Community pools and campgrounds to open;

– Recreational sports practices to begin under guidelines, except for contact sports;

– Basketball and tennis courts and soccer and baseball fields to open;

– Restaurant dining rooms to remain at 50% capacity;

– Retail stores and shopping malls to open at 75% capacity;

Remote work is still encouraged whenever possible in Stage 3. Bars, nightclubs and entertainment and sports venues are to remain closed. Casinos also must stay closed.

Youth summer day camps will be allowed to start June 1. Indiana State Health Commissioner Kristina Box said her team is working on local guidance for the camps, but she suggested people should get outdoors as much as possible and having boxed lunches. No overnight camps are allowed yet.

Individuals are strongly encouraged—but not required—to wear a face mask when in public or around other people.

“The No. 1 thing you can do is wear a mask when you’re around a lot of other people,” Holcomb said.

Stage 2 of the plan began May 4 and allowed retailers to reopen and increased the social gathering size limit from 10 to 25 people. On May 11, some in-person dining at restaurants was allowed and personal service businesses could reopen in most of the state.

Marion County continues to lag behind the state’s reopening schedule though, with in-person dining at restaurants starting Friday, but that is limited to outdoor-dining only. Personal services are still not allowed to be open, but retailers were given the OK to open doors on May 15 at 50% capacity.

Holcomb said he felt comfortable continuing to loosen the restrictions—and doing it two days earlier than expected—because of how well Stage 2 has been going.

“People, for the most part, … have been paying attention to wearing a mask when they’re in large crowds or close to folks or that physical distancing, that 6-feet-plus,” Holcomb said. “Those things have really made a difference.”

Holcomb said he will sign an executive order Thursday that allows the state to move into Stage 3.

The governor said he also was extending until July 1 the prohibition on turning off utilities; extending the prohibition on filing mortgage foreclosures and evictions; and extending the deadlines to acquire or renew drivers licenses, vehicle registrations and other BMV documentation.

Stage 4 is still expected to start June 14, but Holcomb stressed that the date is written in pencil and could change. In that stage, groups of up to 250 people could gather, bars could reopen at 50% capacity, retailers could operate at 100% capacity, restaurants could have 75% capacity and sports and entertainment venues could reopen at 50% capacity.

“Stage 2 is a very important stage that got us to Stage 3,” Holcomb said. “Stage 3 will be just as important, and it will determine if we get to Stage 4, when we get to Stage 4.”

Box said she still has some concerns about moving to Stage 4, which is currently scheduled to last through July 3, but she will continue to monitor the data on a daily basis.

“I have concerns and reservations about every step and every change we make,” Box said. “However, I do think there is a way that we can do this safely, and that involves all of the same things that we’ve already been doing, and that is social distancing, washing our hands, wearing our masks.”

Copyright © 2020 All Rights Reserved.