BEDFORD — Lawrence County continues to work to restore its computer network following a cyber attack that was detected early Thursday.

The attack resulted in a loss of phone service for county offices as well as the inability to access information. The 911 emergency system was not affected.

“Basically, we’re bringing up systems and installing new equipment,” Valerie Luchauer, Lawrence County emergency management director, said Monday.

She said phone service to offices in the Lawrence County Courthouse and Courthouse Plaza was expected to be restored by Tuesday.

The source of the attack remains unknown. Luchauer said she and others involved don’t believe private information of county employees or the public was breached.

“Our employees were all advised to check with their banking institutions and so far everything is fine,” she said.

All information relating to elections also was unaffected.

“When we found out we had a problem, our IT staff was very proactive and began disconnecting servers,” she said.

As soon as the attack was confirmed, public safety was the number one priority, Luchauer said. The county’s IT staff worked to provide service to the sheriff’s department for essential services. During the time period officers and dispatchers did not have access, the Bedford Police Department assisted by running driver’s licenses and license plates for the county.

“The city of Bedford was very helpful and stepped up to assist,” she said.

The county has insurance to cover a cyberattack.

Once the network is restored, Luchauer said the next step is determining what data can’t be accessed and how to restore it.

While computers at the Lawrence County Jail were also affected, neither jail security nor the care of the inmates were ever compromised, Shoults said.

Shoults said he’s been with the department for about 22 years and it’s the first time the computer systems have been crippled to this extent.
© 2020 TMNews.com, Bedford, IN.